Post-doc opportunity

Jen Rexford and I are jointly seeking to hire a post-doc to join us at Princeton.   We are looking for somebody to start sometime between February and June 2010 (ideally, as soon as possible) and stay for a duration of 18-24 months.

This research opportunity is part of the SCAFFOLD project.  SCAFFOLD is a new network architecture that focuses on better supporting distributed and wide-area services.  These services, run over multiple hosts distributed across many locations, need to respond quickly to server and network churn: both unexpected changes (due to equipment failures and physical mobility) and intentional changes (during planned maintenance, load balancing, and workload migration). SCAFFOLD is exploring network support for treating service-level objects (rather than hosts) as first-class citizens and for providing a tighter coupling between object-based naming and routing.  While the design can support a clean-slate Internet architecture, we are immediately focusing on incremental deployment within a single datacenter or enterprise, as well as across multiple, geo-diverse datacenters.

The postdoctoral associate will provide a leadership role in designing, prototyping, and deploying a SCAFFOLD network.  System components include network-layer devices (OpenFlow-based routers/switches, proxies for backwards compatibility, and NOX-based network controllers), integrated end-hosts, and application-level services to be deployed on top of SCAFFOLD.

Applicants should have a Ph.D. in computer science or a related field at the time of starting the position. They should have a strong research record, as well as first-hand experience building complex networked systems.  Applicants are requested to apply via email (to Jen and myself) with a curriculum vitae and a description of their background and interests. The position will provide a competitive salary and support for further professional development.  Non-U.S. citizens or residents are welcome to apply.  The project is funded through the National Science Foundation, the GENI Project Office, the Office of Naval Research, and Cisco Systems.

Update (March 1):  This post-doc position has since been filled.  Welcome, Erik Nordstrom.

• G'day Mike
    I am working in the Computer Science and Engineering department at the University of Hail (Saudi Arabia) and have a very keep interest in Self Management and Self Organizing Systems. I have worked for about 6 years in u-Frontier project in South Korea. I wonder if there is any opportunity where we can remotely collaborate ? I have had a chance to work on Collaborative Processing in Sensor networks project (sponsored by Ministry of Science and Technology, South Korea), u-Frontier (U2: System Integration Team) where we worked on domestic gateway using prosyst technologies and developed bundles for elderly people and childcare, Autonomic Middleware for Network management in ubiquitous networks and my last depotation was at University of Trento in OKKAM project (sponsored by EU comission) with emphasis on Entity Lifecycle Management.

I think I can be useful. Please page me (if interested) on jDOTchaudhryATuohDOTeduDOTsa

Thanks.

• G'day Mike

Thanks.